Pages

Sunday 26 February 2012

First Gold Star

I have my first Dukan Gold Star.  Awarded by me, to me - well done me!!
Do you think it's chocolate under the foil?
It's was awarded for courage in the face of danger.  By danger I mean cheese, butter, sausages, sugar, ice-cream, high running emotions and peer pressure.  Phew.

So this weekend is the first time I've Dukaned outside the comfort of my own total control.  Not bad considering I am two weeks (3.9kg / 9lbs down!) into the regimen.   All the same, I was a bit apprehensive.  It started on Friday when my parents came to town and we all went to the Hockney exhibition 

Click for a bigger view
Now I've mentioned Sister #2 and this one sided feud we seem to be having.  Well she was coming along and I hoped it might be time to clear the air.  She was running late with her husband so I decided to wait outside with their tickets whilst my parents and Sister #1 went ahead (it's timed entrance)   Anyway, we she arrived I went (as customary) to give her a hug and kiss and ask her how she was and she recoiled and went "mmfine" and that really was that.  It kind of set the tone for the evening.  She wouldn't talk to me.  Well I don't want to bog you down with my family dramarama but it does affect me, sometimes, I mean we used to talk EVERYDAY.  I veer between being upset / apprehensive / angry / indignant / not caring and wanting to remove myself from the situation.

After the exhibition we all went for a drink and to meet up with some other friends.  Comment passed on my not drinking.  Then we went to Prezzo (eww) for dinner.  I ended up getting the salmon and avocado salad (no dressing) and assiduously picked out all the croutons and avocado.  It was quite nice.   Although at the table of 8, everyone else got pizza, pasta or dishes coated in cheese sauce with garlic bread and then profiteroles for pudding.  I don't actually want the food but it is mildly exhausting to have it passed under your nose or offered, etc.

Saturday was trickier...

A PP day.  Eggs for breakfast, my salmon galette for lunch and then went for a lovely walk in Epping.  Saw the Artist in the evening - a really charming film if you've not seen it yet.  Then dinner with my parents, b/f and Godfather at his house.  Trickier than a restaurant because the risk of causing offence is much higher.  Well mum was cooking dinner and she is a brilliant cook but uses so much butter - I mean Mein Gott! I love butter but she appears to worship it.  She cooked sausages (totally out of bounds), with a tomato sauce (with sugar) and mushrooms drowning in butter with baked potatoes.  We got back from the cinema at 9pm, starving, the sausages took an AGE to cook so everyone else drunk wine, snacked on olives, had pate, taramasalata and other goodies on a lovely stick of fresh french bread.  I could have NOTHING.  I was DYING.  We finally sat down to eat at around 10pm.  I tried to disguise the fact that I had take no sausages, or potatoes by dumping a huge pile of salad on my plate.  I had rescued a mushroom earlier in the evening so it was only partly drenched in butter and I had a tiny dollop of tomato sauce.  Wine endless proffered to me.

Worse was to come.  My godfather had gone and specially bought Italian ice-cream for pudding; toffee, pistachio, coffee - delicious, artisan ice-cream.  I pre-empted it slightly by saying it was late and I had to get back home across London for work in the morning (Sunday!) and then my mother was like:

Mum:  "have some ice-cream and I'll drop you back at the station"
Me: "No, I don't want any"
Mum: "Go on, just a little bit"
Me: "No, No thanks"
Mum: "Just a tiny, little bit"
Me: "Noooo"
Mum: "Just whilst the b/f finishes his sausage"
Me: "No."
Mum: "Go on"
Me: "No, honestly I don't want any"
Mum: "...you'll cause horrible offence if you don't"
Me:  "....No."

Struggle-some.  However, I'm pleased I held out, not only because I am weak willed when it comes to food, I'm also so adverse to being awkward and usually cave to keep the peace.  Nevertheless, it was a bit awkward, I barrelled out of there pretty fast.  I think I will talk to her today about doing the Dukan.  She is fairly anti-diet, or seems to take personal offence if any of her children turn down food.

*sigh*

Still on a brighter note, I stood and 'surfed' all the way home on the tube and this morning was .4kg down, so it looks like all my determination paid off.  Also, I told nice housemate that I'm doing the diet and she is cooking a super salad tonight that I can eat.  Super stuff. 

Fatty. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment